Your Ad Here

Friday, November 7, 2008

The Judge, The NCAA, Obama (one of these things is not like the others)

Ahh, just behind the curve of the national media, the FWG decides to comment on the election results. (Do you like how I now narrate my own entrances?)

OBAMA:
So Obama wins (Obama wins, Ooooobama wins!--Yankees fans take heed), McCain loses, and the world waits to see what happens next. Personally, I think this is a monumental moment for our society and proof that the American dream is alive and thriving (as if a Starbucks on every corner left any doubt). Yes, I voted for McCain (as previously noted), but a vote for McCain is certainly not the same as a vote for Buchanan was in the early 90's. He simply wasn't just the "Republican" choice to make a stand for "Republicans." I think that either McCain or Obama could have done (and now will do) a good job leading our nation. But while this was the election on the minds and hearts (and stomachs...FWG) of the American electorate, another election weighed heavily on MY mind (no, not whether Warren Sapp can pull it off).

THE JUDGE:
Tuesday also marked the race for the New York State Supreme court, which my Dad, "The Judge" was running for. Unfortunately, the big guy came up a bit short, losing the election to two other candidates (who are qualified to perform their new duties, no doubt). I have to say that while he is my Dad, he's also a supremely competent jurist. The real people who lost in this race are the citizens of the eight counties that my old man served. They have lost a hardworking, ethical, and deeply motivated (not to mention cute) man. My high school Spanish teacher once referred to him as a "silver fox," but that’s neither here nor there.
Excuse me if I wax sentimental for a moment, but my Dad gave up a life in the private sector making mucho dinero to serve his community as well as his family. Working for the state afforded him the opportunity to come to my football (and hockey, and lacrosse) games (which he never once missed). My dad is truly a man with his priorities in line. I wish that voters had made a better choice, but this election was truly an uninformed voters’ forum. People turned out in record numbers voting straight Democratic tickets, ignoring the fact that Judge Lunn was endorsed by every association (Teachers, African-American Bar, Police Union to name a few). I feel bad because for the first time in my life, I'm the one doling out the advice about "God's plan" and the "24 hour rule" (celebrating/mourning a victory/loss for no more than 24 hours then moving on). Perhaps the Judge lost due to his poor fiscal/economic policy ($2/week allowance for 8 years? This isn't Reaganomics; adjust accordingly, please). So what’s in store next for the Judge? I suggested he take up base jumping or parasailing (maybe even knitting) but I'm thinking he'll go back into private practice (or maybe Dancing with the Stars needs an alternate?). How many people from upstate New York read this? Probably not many (until 'Cuse week). But for what it’s worth I want everyone to know what an amazing Judge (and father) he was (and is). So now that I'm all fired up, time to talk about the NCAA.

THE NCAA:
So, the fine folks in our compliance office (it takes a special person to do that kind of work…) contacted me letting me know about a few NCAA violations on the blog (no, poor comedic timing isn't one of them). Remember the West Virginia post? I made reference to Pat White, punning (is punning a word?), punning the "How many UConn football players does it take to catch him? The world may never know"-- an obvious play off that old Tootsie-Pop commercial ("How many licks...the world may never know."). According to the NCAA this is an "implied endorsement" of a product/or service (see below):
12.5.3 Media Activities.
(a) During the Playing Season. During the playing season, a student-athlete may appear on radio and television programs (e.g., coaches' shows) or engage in writing projects when the student-athlete's appearance or participation is related in any way to athletics ability or prestige, provided the student-athlete does not receive any remuneration for the appearance or participation in the activity. The student-athlete shall not make any endorsement, expressed or implied, of any commercial product or service. The student-athlete may, however, receive actual and necessary expenses directly related to the appearance or participation in the activity. A student-athlete participating in media activities during the playing season may not miss class, except for class time missed in conjunction with away-from-home competition or to participate in a conference-sponsored media day. (Revised: 1/16/93, 1/14/97, 1/9/06, 4/27/06)


Really? And my bald head is an endorsement of Rogaine and Hair-Club for Men. Where do these rules come from? (There has to be a Monty Python skit on this somewhere.) And I don’t blame our compliance office one bit; they are looking out for my best interest. But when does common sense come into play? So I decided to consult my legal team (thanks, Dad) and they concurred that "implied" is in the eye of the beholder. I guess I can’t endorse pork products either? (cue music...) But you can't hold a whole blog responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted bloggers. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole blog system? And if the whole Blog system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, NCAA -- isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

NCAA/Animal House comparison; my life is complete. Time for some...

FINAL THOUGHTS:
My sister submits this one. I'm informing Homeland Security.

Okay, so don’t judge me, but don't you think Mahmoud Ahmadinejad kind of looks like an Iranian McDreamy?
Photobucket


As old and mature (yeah right) as I get, grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup will be one of the best things ever. Way better when served by a mustachioed, hairnet-wearing, woman with mole creasing her upper lip (oh, high school), but delicious all the same.



Keep the questions coming...I've received some GREAT ones so far; more are welcome.
TheFatWhiteGuy@gmail.com

3 comments:

futureuconndad said...

FWG...been looking forward to your latest posting. I strongly agree (as do many others), "The Judge" is, without a doubt, the most qualified jurist for the job....the voters simply did not do their homework.

My hat's off to "The Judge" for his commitment to the community and his family. Others can learn from that example.

Re: the NCAA....I was thinking "toga, toga, toga" as I was reading your comments, only to see your reference to "Animal House" (that' not an endorsement is it?).

Enjoy the bye week. Get ready for the "Cuse. We'll be watching!

Anonymous said...

As a fellow upstate nyer(Plattsburgh)/uconn student just wanted to say I love the blog! Can't wait to see you guys trounce 'Cuse... and since when has the NCAA ever made sense?

Anonymous said...

We think Mahmoud Ahmadinejad kind of looks like Matt Gray....