Your Ad Here

Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes: American Legend

Hit Play



John Hughes is dead. The director/writer of an entire genre of "coming of age" flicks, he was in my opinion a cinematic genius.
16 Candles? The Breakfast Club? Pretty in Pink? Weird Science? Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Home Alone? Uncle Buck? Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? Are you kidding me? If Hughes was a sports hero, he be John Wooden, Michael Jordan, Phil Jackson, Teddy Williams, and Tiger Woods all rolled up in to one.
Move over Spielberg, with career stats like this I'm surprised John Hughes isn't a household name. I get the whole "he never won an Oscar thing"--but guess what? The Bills never won a Super Bowl and they were still the best team in the 90's (and coincidentally also have a cult following).
Just think of all the classic movie lines you and your buddies use on a regular basis just from the John Hughes collection:

"this is a very nutritious lunch. All the food groups are represented"

"Bueheller? Bueller? Anyone?...."

"I like to keep mine so sharp, you could circumsize a nat. Wait a minute...Nat? Bug? Am I noticing some similarities here?"

"I just wanna know how one becomes a janitor because Andrew here is very interested in pursuing a career in the custodial arts. "

Am I missing any? Post in the Comments section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, The Who for breakfast--nice choice, sir.

You could throw Vacation in there.

Rusty: Hey, ya got Pac Man?
Dale: No.
Rusty: Ya got Space Invaders?
Dale: Nope.
Rusty: Ya got Asteroids?
Dale: Naw, but my dad does. Can't even sit on the toilet some days.

Lasky: Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.